Snapshot/Rollback interface to the ZYpp stack
Ability for libzypp and exposed via zypper to snapshot either automatically or explicitly the system before commit happens, plus an interface to revert the system.
The interface should be generic and allow for different possible implementations which should be offered depending on the context:
- btrfs based if /root is btrfs
- simple based on package list before commit, plus package history and current package list to determine diff last transaction
- two root partitions, where the interface would clone root filesystem before commit and switch them at rollback time.
- Customer asked about snapshoting during our last meeting.
- Feature parity with Solaris which is implementing package rollback based on ZFS
- RHEL goes the same route, announced btrfs rollbacks in yum
- We can do better, offering something more flexible and not btrfs dependent to support different scenarios: SLES (btrfs), Appliances (dual system partition), openSUSE (simple package list)
Set user benefit
You can add different relations here, for example duplicate features, obs projects, urls...
To embedd an image you can simply upload it to paste.opensuse.org and add a relation to its raw url.
Set release notes
packages: libzypp snapper zypper
Administrator installs a bunch of updates, which leaves the system in an an unworkable state. He types zypper rollback to undo the changes.
zypper install foo bar
System should be as before the installation. Corner cases are not important.
Requires description of the functionality in zypper options
Last change: 18 months ago